R530.00 – R1,500.00
In 1886 gold was discovered in Johannesburg, soon the gold rush began and the need for a reliable electricity source was established. As the gold rush continued and the city grew, the demand for power out grew the supply. By 1927 work on the Jeppe street power station (Turbine hall) had begun. Soon enough, the demand once more could not be met by Jeppe Street and in 1939, the Orlando Power Station was erected. By 1942,Orlando had become the main supplier of electricity and Jeppe, being the back up station was later closed in 1962, used only for emergency power. For years the buildings were left to deteriorate, and became home to a large population of squatters. In 2002 the development of the New Town precinct around Turbine Hall had been well established and in 2004 AngloGold chose to establish their new headquarters at Turbine Hall. The development of Turbine Hall was a catalyst for companies and people to re-habit the Johannesburg CBD.
Limited edition 1/100 print, 200mm x 200mm
Giclee print on 200gsm, Archival Matt
* each print includes a bespoke sticker story (to be placed on the back of a frame), the contents of this prints story can be seen above.
300mm x 300mm Aluminium Box Frame with artwork float mounted and centred
|FRAMED OR UNFRAMED?*||
No Frame, Black Aluminium